Title: Production Artist/Graphics Supervisor (Print Production)
Start Date: ASAP
Hours: Full time
Location: On-site (Austin, TX 78735 no remote flexibility)
Salary: $60,000- 72,000 (Paid hourly during the contract period)
Our client (a direct commercial printing business) is looking to add a Production Artist/Graphic Supervisor to their team. In this role, you will primarily be working with print production (signs, direct mailers, etc.). You will be responsbile for design, but you will also be responsible for managing one other designer. This is a customer facing role, in which you will work with customers one-on-one to help figure out the best product for them.
The Graphics Supervisor is responsible for the operation of the Graphics Department in
compliance with job specifications and company quality standards to ensure that the
department meets or exceeds overall customer satisfaction and service expectations. The
Graphics Supervisor is responsible for the graphics design personnel, for the quality and
timeliness of their work, and for the proper operation and maintenance of all equipment
(hardware and software). The Graphics Supervisor assists inside and outside sales staff in
promoting services to customers. The Graphics Supervisor schedules all work to meet
customer timeframe requirements and works closely with other staff members to exceed
customer satisfaction and service.
As the Graphics Supervisor and a member of the Production Team, you are accountable
for the department meeting production and quality goals, as well as playing a key role in
meeting company wide profitability and customer satisfaction goals:
• Guarantee satisfaction and value for our customers.
• Contribute to a work environment that fosters pride in being part of a winning team
and promotes personal growth.
• Maintain personal productivity and quality standards that make possible attractive
financial returns so that the company may continue to provide excellent service to our
customers and ensure job security and career growth for our staff.
• Maintain a positive department attitude and ensure that all employees under your
supervision are aligned with the company goals.
You and your team are responsible for supporting the company vision and mission.
Because you are in contact with employees, customers, and vendors, and in a key
position for guaranteeing their satisfaction and our company prosperity, your position
requires confidentiality, tact, sensitivity, and professionalism.
Responsibilities and Duties:
General and Administrative
• Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor that reflects the company’s
commitment to quality, continuous improvement and respect for individuals.
• Coordinate with the Production Team to produce and prioritize jobs, and when
necessary reorganize to meet deadline changes and updates.
• Comply with all OSHA safety requirements.
• Participate as a key player in the company by supporting operations as needed.
• Communicate effectively with the General Manager/Owner, the Sales Team and the
Production Team, informing and updating them regularly to guarantee that sales
objectives and client objectives are met.
• Follow systems and procedures outlined in the company manuals.
• Supervise design department employees and ensure staffing is adequate.
• Monitor schedule so the workload is distributed evenly with minimal overtime.
• Initiate hiring when needed to cope with expanding workload or for replacement of
• Select, motivate, and retain high quality employees.
• Teach, coach, and train employees on basic job skills.
• Facilitate departmental cross training, design training and development plan for each
• Provide opportunities for growth beyond current job requirements.
• Provide a positive motivating example for employees.
• Meet the company requirements for performance measurement and evaluations.
• Provide recognition and recommend advancement for top performers as appropriate.
• Initiate disciplinary measures according to company policy when needed and dismiss
graphics employees when all corrective attempts have failed.
Equipment and Supplies
• Schedule, delegate, and ensure performance of all equipment maintenance following
applicable procedures. Maintain maintenance logs.
• Coordinate and manage all inventory supplies to ensure minimum waste and
• Ensure that inventories are conducted per company policy and accurate records are
• Inform the General Manager/Owner of equipment and production problems.
• Bachelor of Arts degree desired.
• Minimum of 2 years of practical experience in graphic design.
• Minimum of 2 years of print production experience.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, positive upbeat attitude.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Comprehensive background, understanding, and experience with MOS (Macintosh)
or PC (IBM) and DTP computer applications, such as: PageMaker, Quark, Microsoft
Word, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator, Freehand,
PowerPoint, CorelDraw, Corel WordPerfect, Adobe Photoshop.
• Knowledge of PDF and postscript files and PDF plug-ins.
• General knowledge of utility programs such as file compression, disk repair, print
spoolers, PC to Mac, and Mac to PC conversion processes.
• Ability to prepare files for output to film, plate (spot and 4-color process), receive
and manipulate files electronically and maintain operating system on production
• Ability to send files to the image setter, high-speed digital copiers, and color copiers.
• Experience in paste-up and book imposition.
• Ability to move freely throughout the building to gather information, materials and
• Meet or exceed minimum test results as specified by the hiring manager.
Graphics Supervisor Page 3 ©2006 by TG & Associates
Working Conditions: • Intensive computer work and extended use of the computer keyboard and mouse.
• Exposure to ink and chemical fumes, and airborne particles such as paper dust and
• Work area may have fluorescent lighting and air conditioning.
• Occasional overtime.
• Noise level is usually moderate to loud.
• Fast-paced environment; subject to numerous schedule and priority changes.
• Occasional lifting of objects up to 50 lbs.
• Sitting for prolonged periods of time – up to 8 hours per day.
Additional Duties: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to
be performed. You will be expected to follow any other job-related instructions
and to perform other job-related duties as requested by your supervisor.