An education client in NYC is looking for a Copy Editor for a freelance role through December 21st. This is a remote position.
Project: Copyediting assessments manuals
- Looking for a Copy Editor to work remotely on assessments manuals from late October through late December
- The Copy Editor will make their edits in a PDF document, then email the copyedited PDF version back to the manual author. The copyeditor is responsible for understanding and applying house style, as detailed in the editorial style guide, across a set of highly interrelated publications
- Be responsible for grammar, spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, word usage, consistency, trademarks and copyrights, and light fact-checking. Fully accountable for editorial quality and accuracy of all reviewed publications and marketing material. In-house copyediting team will be available for queries.
- Maintains regular contact with staff in Communications and other departments with the purpose of scheduling and establishing expectations, including director of copyediting, and program publications staff.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4−6 years of copyediting experience
- This position requires a minimum of 40 hours per week; hours may be nonstandard and will vary depending on project deadlines.
- Proven editorial ability with complete knowledge of proofreading and copyediting symbols and general publishing/publications standards and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of editing PDFs and Microsoft Word, particularly the track changes function.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard editorial style guides, especially Chicago Manual of Style and Associated Press.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions quickly and effectively.