Our client is looking for a talented Design Technologist that enjoys designing and building tools to increase the efficiency of the Design and Engineering teams. You will be a core member of a growing DesignOps team extending the entire design system for the company, to aid in creating a class-leading SaaS product with desktop, tablet and mobile touchpoints.
A design technologist is a hybrid designer and front-end developer. While they may skew towards one end of the spectrum or the other, they push the boundaries of user interface and brand design, design systems, and prototyping. They can drive design decisions across a team and turn them into a reality in a browser.
- Be a core contributor to our design system through visual explorations, contributing code, and feedback
- Partner with Design and Engineering teams to extend and adapt our existing systems such as our color system, navigation components, and interaction patterns to their needs
- Design for systems that work across multiple platforms and devices
- Document design patterns and write design guidelines on how, and more importantly why, patterns should be used
- Help us maintain our design system in design tools such as Sketch or Figma
- Work with other designers, PMs, and engineers to help plan future projects
- Advocate for, and teach other designers and engineers how to use our design system
- You are both a designer and an engineer. You have examples of strong visual design, interaction work, AND front-end development at a professional level, and are excited to leverage both those skill sets in one role.
- You think in systems - you see how all the parts fit together and how small changes propagate throughout the system
- You have experience contributing to design systems within an organization or as part of an open-source project
- You care about how you can make the system and design language evolve over time—you make design and engineering decisions that make company-wide changes easy
- You have a thorough understanding of HTML & CSS and a working knowledge of a JS framework, like React
- You have an excellent ability to develop and sustain relationships across teams and functions
- You have excellent communication and writing skills and a strong aptitude for presenting work, giving and receiving feedback, and explaining system work to designers, engineers, and stakeholders
This role is a 3 month full-time contract with an opportunity to be converted to a permanent team member. Anyone in the LA area is welcome to work from a desk in the Glendale office with the rest of the design team. If you're out of state, you must have video conferencing capabilities and be set up fully to work from home.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your resume, portfolio, and GitHub account. Please call out any specific system-related work you think is relevant.