Our agency client has an exciting opportunity for a senior Copywriter! The Writing Director, along with the Art Director, leads the creative development and execution of campaigns and individual projects and is responsible for the overall quality of the work. (Could be considered Associate Creative Director role in another agency) The Writing Director works with the Art Director to lead the creative team and present creative work to clients. The Writing Director is a player–coach role that is about 40 percent writing and 60 percent editorial review of the work created by Copywriters and Designers. The Writing Director reports to an Associate Creative Director and is responsible for directing and mentoring junior creatives, but will not have any management responsibilities at this time.
• Demonstrates ability to understand the role of strategy and make decisions that are sound both creatively and strategically.
• Participates in and/or leads internal and client-facing creative meetings, facilitating both clients and agency personnel through the feedback process.
• Works with Copywriters to develop their skills through effective direction, mentoring and development of skills.
• Develops staff and delegate responsibilities to free himself/herself to assist with multiple client engagements.
• Assists the Creative Director in the supervision and resource management of Copywriters, Medical Writers, Editors and Proofreaders, both full time and freelance.
• Leads the effort to establish, enforce and evolve Writing Competency best practices within the agency.
• Contributes to creative concept and treatment development for marketing campaigns.
• Communicates actively with project team to keep job and deliverables on track and on schedule. Deliverables may include long form, short form, interactive and script writing, as
well as naming and tagline development.
• Supports new business pursuits by organizing and contributing to presentations, writing and reviewing presentation decks, advising clients, etc.
• Helps to build strong client relationships based on flawless, on-time, and on-budget delivery of creative work that drives results, and leadership of a creative process that clearly demonstrates its value to clients.
• Four year degree in English, journalism, communications or a related field.
• Seven+ years of experience as a marketing Copywriter and/or an Associate Creative Director.
• Experience in healthcare, specifically pharmaceuticals, is a plus.
• Has demonstrable mastery of English-language style and mechanics.
• Demonstrates ability to write for, and direct writing for, digital, interactive and motion projects.
• Demonstrates ability to analyze problems, anticipate consequences and eliminate obstacles to successfully complete projects.
• Has made the transition from primarily task-oriented work to team leadership, strategic thinking and client-relationship building.
• Exhibits a high level of creative and problem-solving skills.
• Has experience leading and/or mentoring junior creatives.
• Has a digital portfolio that includes business-to-business pieces, interactive work, some long- form work and a creative concept brought to life across a campaign.
• Demonstrates careful attention to detail as a Copywriter, Copyeditor and Proofreader.