Connecting you with the best creative freelance and contract-to-hire roles is our job. Let us help you find yours!
Product Team ManagerApply
Oct 25, 2016
Agent: Ryanne C.
Job #: 110123
Our client, a higher education/publishing company focused on print and digital solutions, is hiring a Product Team Manager to join their team in Boston on a full time permanent basis!
The Product Team Manager is going to be responsible for driving the Advanced Placement and Electives Product while managing a team of 2-3 Product Managers. You’ll be focusing on market strategy, market research, putting business plans together, and overseeing the overall health of the product line and making smart business decisions based on that. Some new products they have coming down the line could be a new digital learning solution/platform, a new homework helping tool, a new textbook entering the market, and more.
Important Requirements / Info:
- Must have experience managing P&Ls (profits and losses)
- Higher ed or publishing experinece is HIGHLY preferred
- Career path will likely be someone who started in sales and marketing and then moved into product management
- Product Team Manager would be managing 2-3 Product Managers
- You’ll be working with market strategy, market research, editorial and technology, sales and marketing, and more
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Product Team Manager develops the strategic vision and plans for a portfolio of learning solutions, while leading a team of Product Managers and other product personnel. As the unifying force between product strategy and execution, he or she will work closely with colleagues across the Product organization and in Technology, Marketing, and Sales to deliver market-leading products and set "go-to-market" strategies.
Reporting to the Product Director, the Product Team Manager is responsible for directing the management of the K9-12: Advanced Placement, Honors, and Electives product portfolio, developing new products based on market requirements, and increasing the profitability of existing products. This role is accountable for the overall performance of his or her portfolio and P&L. Candidates for this role will have demonstrated success at aligning teams around established company initiatives to meet or exceed business targets.
- Leads and directs a market-focused team through the product lifecycle development at all levels, from tactical to strategic planning. Responsible for overall strategic vision and plan for products and the entire portfolio in order to achieve or exceed strategic goals for market share, top-line, and profit growth.
- Understands and executes on essential aspects of learning design with emphasis on digital learning solutions that address customer workflow and learning challenges. Possesses ability to bring winning customer driven solutions to market in an effective and efficient manner that integrate all associated dimensions.
- Makes sound, market-informed and data-driven business proposals for investment and other strategic decisions. Does so objectively with the ability and willingness to prioritize investments appropriately for the good of the overall organization.
- Regularly analyze portfolio plans to align forecasting and measurement of progress towards goals and delivery deadlines.
- Bring customer-focused solutions that have strong value propositions, meet demonstrated market needs, and provide unique competitive advantage.
- Anticipate discipline and industry trends, with a focus on digital learning solutions grounded in a market knowledge gained through data-driven market research.
- Fully understand and track all product activity that affects assigned portfolio, including any product launches/enhancements and competitor movement. Develop a keen understanding of all competitors; develop an ability to anticipate competitor activity as it pertains to product medium or subject area.
- Regularly analyze product and portfolio plans to align forecasting and measurement of progress towards goals; provide business case for investment decisions. Suggest and monitor production budgets and schedules.
- Works closely with colleagues in other functional areas (Development, Production, Marketing, Sales, Technology, etc.) to convey the strategic vision for the discipline/product cluster, provides candid feedback that supports the vision and execution and which leads to goal achievement.
- Leads a team of Product Managers and Product Assistants, coaching, advising, and advocating for each employee as their needs warrant. Meet all performance review process deadlines, providing feedback at assigned times and throughout the employee lifecycle and with a focus on career development for team members at all levels
- 4+ years relevant and successful product management, marketing, sales, or development experience.
- BA or BS.
- Excellence at developing and articulating vision and strategy that meet business goals; strong presentation and communication skills. Demonstrated strategic agility. Proven record with strategy creation and execution.
- Possesses an understanding of digital functionality and how content is best utilized to communicate information, etc.; can “speak digital” as well as print.
- Customer-focused; has a track record of creating successful products by determining customer needs and challenges and translating those to product and value story for the market.
- Ability to champion and execute market-oriented new and innovative approaches, ideas, methods, processes, products and services.
- Strong negotiation and influence skills.
- Possess deep understanding of financial and business metrics, including P&L statements, conversion rates, sell-through, market share, attrition, gross margin, customer satisfaction, and retention rates.
- Possess the same understanding of digital metrics including attach rates, digital penetration, and enrollment statistics.
- Must have ability to travel as much as 50% during the selling seasons (spring and fall)
- Passion for Education and specifically for digital learning products.
Want more details about this and other Boston, MA opportunities? Meet Ryanne Conway!