To introduce you to our awesome local teams and offices, we’re highlighting a new city where we have a Vitamin T location each week. Our first stop: Austin. Our fab Austin Agent Renee Diaz, took a few minutes to introduce us to the city.
Vitamin T: What do you love most about Austin?
Renee: The people and overall culture they create. It’s an extremely friendly city with a wealth of outdoor fun from live music everywhere to cycling, biking, and happy hours/networking events.
Vitamin T: Why is Austin a great city for interactive talent?
Renee: Austin has been referred to as a "mini-Silicon Valley". It’s not just about the big name companies like Dell or National Instruments, but the small to mid-sized companies and startups focused on the industry that draw interactive to Austin. The city hosts SXSW Interactive—and there’s nothing like it. 14,000 people return each year to learn the latest and greatest. The event had a 40% increase in attendance just in the interactive arena alone this year. I’m a regular panelist at SXSWi and am already stoked about next year’s sessions.
Vitamin T: What advice would you have for talent moving to Austin?
Renee: Start networking NOW to find out where to live, work out, or work. Austin is big city with small town feel, and we love to network and help each other out. So join tweetups (@refreshaustin), meetups, and local networking groups such as IxDA Austin and Launch Pad Job Club.
Vitamin T: Since networking is so important, what are some more great networking groups to connect with?
Renee: These are some great places to start:
• AIGA Austin (the professional association for design)
• Austin Chapter of the American Marketing Association
• Austin Ad Fed (a gathering place for the ad agency community)
Vitamin T: What are some of the cool ad agencies in Austin?
Renee: There are so many. Here are a few:
• frog is a well-known agency whose clients include Disney, GE, HP, Intel, Microsoft, and MTV.
• GSD&M Idea City helped transform Southwest Airlines from a regional favorite to the most successful airline in the world.
• nFusion builds websites, digital ads, and social campaigns for B2B, retail, and consumer electronics clients.
• McGarrah Jessee was named Southwest Agency of the Year by Advertising Age.
• HC&B is an international agency dedicated to health care communications.
• WPP is a leader in marketing communications services with nearly 150,000 employees.
• Enviromedia is a champion of authentic green marketing.
Vitamin T: What's one factoid you can share about the city that newcomers wouldn't know?
Renee: Austin is one of the fittest cities in the country.
Want to learn more about living and working in Austin? Connect with our Austin office. They'll be glad to help!
Our infographic promises to give you the lowdown on the state of marketing technology and the teams who run them!