Her background as a digital community manager for Yelp, Yellowbook, and Google, an in-house and agency copywriter, and a freelance social media strategist means that Carrie brings a deep understanding and passion for all things Internet-y to her matchmaking. She speaks fluent creative.
That’s why it was so much fun to ask her our 11 Quick Questions. Now you can find out what advice she has for creatives, how she stays up on the world of digital, and important stuff like her guilty song pleasure.
- Google or Bing? Google
- Best digital event in your city? We have so many awesome ones. I really loved AIGA's Pixels of Fury from last year, but the most grand has got to be The Philly Geek Awards. It's sponsored by one of my favorite blogs, Geekadelphia, and is held each year at The Academy of Natural Sciences. Without a doubt, it brings out the "Who's Who" of the Philly geek elite!
- Describe your city in 5 words. Passionate. Industrious. Feisty. Resourceful. Colorful.
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Go with your gut. Sometimes you just know the person you're interviewing is right for the job, even if their resume doesn't have the exact words and phrases that you were originally looking for. Conversely, you may have a reaction that tells you to steer clear of this person even if they fit the bill.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Being too vague. Don't just say you designed marketing materials for your company or were involved with branding or strategy. Be specific and give actual examples and accomplishments.
- Native Apps or Responsive Design? Responsive Design.
- Favorite meme? It may be old, but Strutting Leo still cracks me up!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? Mashable.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Go in with an open mind and zero ego. Whether you're there for one day or on a temp-to-perm contract, you've been hired to help solve problems and get the job done.
- Next big thing in digital? More celebrities being tapped by big brands to be creative directors.
- Guilty song pleasure? Wu-Tang Clan, “Protect Ya Neck”