Houston agent Ryan West is a true Vitamin T Renaissance Man.
He has an extensive background in marketing, business strategy, graphic design, public relations, and recruiting, and when he’s not in the office getting people jobs, you can find him out entertaining Houstonites on the piano, surfing, rock climbing, or restoring mid-century modern furniture. (See, we weren’t kidding about the Renaissance thing!)
Whether you need a great gig or tips on shooting the curl, read his answers to our 7 Quick Questions, then give him a ring!
- What most excites you about your work and the contribution you make? I really love helping people further their careers! There is no better feeling than finding someone a job and knowing that they’re moving forward.
- What’s your favorite interview question? “What are you doing to help yourself in your job search?” Their answer shows me if they have a direction and plan; if they are acting for themselves and are willing to be a leader. It's subtle, but it shows some depth to their choices and how they respond to adversity. (Because looking for a job isn’t the easiest task.)
- What’s one important skill every person should have? It’s a few skills... traits, really: a warm smile and kind demeanor. I believe everyone should be slow to judge and quick to help.
- How did you get into staffing? I was a talent with Vitamin T and ended up interviewing for a director of business development role. After a few months I moved into a recruiter role and never looked back!
- What tech innovation has most impacted your life? It’s an adaptation to tech, actually: learning how to turn the notifications off for both my phone and computer. It’s a terrific way to learn that technology is a servant, not a master. If it's really important, people will take the effort to call and have a voice conversation.
- What fad or trend do you hope comes back? Men's pants up to their navels and ties tucked in. Dapper in the 50s!
- What is the one movie that you can quote the most? “Young Frankenstein” or Andy Samberg's “Hot Rod”!
Looking for job opportunities in Houston? Give Ryan a call!