Part of our internal Vitamin T marketing team, our Digital Propagandist’s prose can be found on our site, blog, newsletters, emails, direct mail, and those tiny little ads that follow you wherever you go on the web.
A long-time staff member of Aquent | Vitamin T (17 years and counting), Tim’s got some great insight for making a resume great and keeping up-to-date in the digital world. So check out his answers to our 11 Quick Questions!
- Best digital event in your city? Do the Academy Awards count? Even if it did, the Los Angeles User Experience Meetup is still way better.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Huge. Eclectic. Mind-Boggling. Iconic. Ironic.
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Remember to look up from your notes! Interviews make most people nervous. The more comfortable you make your candidate, the better you'll get to know the real person, not the one they’d rehearsed in front of a mirror.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Not having the courage to let someone else take a look at it and give their honest opinion. Feedback can be hard to take, but I don't think there's a creative around who believes that their work would be better without it.
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? Vitaly Friedman's Smashing Magazine (on their SEVENTH year of inspiration).
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Show up on time, be confident, and help make everyone else's day a success.
- Next big thing in digital? Wearable digital. I've seen enough cracked iPhone screens in my time to know that there's some deep-seated need for people to have their devices near them at all times. (A recent survey showed that 9% of respondents had used their smartphone while in the throes of passion.) Now whether that's a good or bad thing, I don't know, but it's coming sooner than you can say, "My 2-way wrist TV is going off!"
- Best example of awesome UX? I agree with the Webby Awards on this one: Tumblr (though I am a big fan of jetBlue's experience.)
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? It's a toss up: both “curator of interestingness” Maria Popova and the 14th Dalai Lama always give me a good dose of perspective in the middle of the day.
- Favorite type or font? Comic Sans. It needs a friend.
- Guilty song pleasure? I don't know why I get such a kick out of La Roux’s “Bulletproof,” (especially after she wasn’t so nice to my friend who worked on the CD), but I still have to listen to it a couple times a month.