As our Digital Zookeeper, Tiffany spends her days and nights traveling the virtual globe (and sometimes the actual globe, as pictured) to find amazing content to share with our talent, clients, and everyone else who loves the digital creative realm.
Whether she’s curating tidbits about 19 tips to rock the first day at your new job or “What if Hayao Miyazaki had designed all our consumer goods?”, she‘s never is at a loss for compelling shares.
Check out her answers our 11 Quick Questions to find out her advice for the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job and perfect ways to market yourself on social media.
- Favorite parody account on Twitter? @SportsPickle or @DarthVadarAna
- Favorite social network and why? Twitter. There is so much information, so quickly! Anything I’m curious about I can search Twitter and there is bound to be someone, in real time, who can answer my question or direct me to a place where I can learn more.
- Best ways for freelancers to market themselves on social media? Follow, connect, and engage with potential hiring managers or company employees you’re interested in working with. You should follow these guidelines:
- Share relevant content to what you’re trying to pursue
- Have original thoughts, don’t just RT and share other people’s content
- Be positive. (People don’t like whiners)
- Be human! Talk about your community, life and your passions
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? NETWORK. The most likely way to find consistent freelance work is to engage your network. Make sure your resume is updated and accessible. Join Meetups and attend industry events. Be active on Twitter and LinkedIn and make an effort to reach out to people (even when you don’t need something), just to stay in touch.
- Favorite creative event in Portland? I’m part of WeMake, a Portland-based maker community. The past two years we have put on an event, WeMake Celebrates, at Design Week Portland where we engage local creatives to create birdhouses that are auctioned off to benefit music and art programs in Portland schools.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? An electrical engineer (I had no idea what that was in 4th grade, but it sounded cool).
- Biggest trend in social media for 2014? Employee advocacy within organizations. Forward thinking companies are helping their staff incorporate social into their strategy around sales and relationship building. I think we’ll see a more formal process in place for a lot of companies as social becomes more of a plan than an afterthought.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Creative. Green. Beards. Rip City.
- Best tips for a great Linkedin profile? Have a headline that says exactly what you do. Don’t make people dig through your profile to figure out what you’re good at. Make sure all your contact info and work experience is up-to-date!
- Social media pet peeve? People who follow you and unfollow, then follow you and unfollow again because you didn’t follow them back. They’re just trying to gain followers not build a network.
- Guilty pleasure? Star Wars anything and Lego everything.
Check out Tiffany and her team’s daily, nay, hourly content on all our social media channels: