With over 15 years in the “people biz,” including a position at BBDO Atlanta, we like to think of Stacie as the bridge that connects great talent to amazing jobs. But then again, we have always tended to wax a bit metaphoric.
Check out her answers to our 11 Quick Questions to hear her resume reading secrets and advice to make your first freelance day a great one.
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Get in front of people! Don't just spend time at the computer applying for positions. Go to networking events, Meetup groups, and the like to promote your skills and talent! If you’ve applied to a position (and if you’re allowed to), let the person recruiting know that you’re interested and why you’d be a great fit for the position.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Listing job responsibilities over accomplishments. Be sure to make a compelling story!
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Always be prepared. Just as you want candidates to have looked into your company prior to the interview, you need to do a bit of research on candidates before you meet them.
- Any resume reading secrets to pass along? It’s actually pretty simple: always look at the skill section first. As a hiring manager, this is one of the fastest ways you can tell if the candidate has the core skills you will need for them to contribute to your organization starting on their first day and every day to follow.
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Not asking what the creative person's process is. When you do this, you’ll have a better understanding if your environment will work well with that process.
- Favorite social network & why? I have two favorites: Facebook and Twitter. Facebook for keeping up with friends and Twitter for real time trending topics relevant to what’s happening now in the digital space. It is so interesting to watch things like #Alexfromtarget go viral, then try to understand why it’s become a social phenomenon.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Go in prepared so that you make a great first impression! Don't be afraid to ask questions up front so that you’re clear on expectations and deliverables!
- Any tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? If you are a designer or developer, include links to your portfolio and samples of your work projects. Get recommendations from your co-workers and clients. Make sure your personal headline on LinkedIn reflects the type of positions you are seeking. That way you’re more likely to come up in searches and get connected to the right kinds of opportunities.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Vibrant. Innovative. Growing. Diverse. Traffic.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a teacher or a brain surgeon.
- Guilty song pleasure? The Spice Girls’ “Wannabe.”
Looking for creative jobs in Atlanta?
Connect with Stacie!