Shawn Mac Lean
Even if it wasn’t Halloween, we’d still say that Shawn’s matchmaking skills are so good, it’s wicked scary. When NYC creatives are searching for the perfect fit for their amazing skills, they know he’s the guy to put it all together.
We promise chills and thrills when you read his answers to our 11 Quick Questions. Read on if you dare!
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Make sure you advertise yourself appropriately for the specific role you are interested in. It really works.
- Tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? Include the full details of each role you’ve had, an image of yourself (and just yourself), up-to-date experience, and accurate contact information.
- The number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Judging a book by its cover rather than discovering what’s inside. Creative/Design is subjective, remember the person you’re interviewing will be showing samples that were under the direction of previous clients.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Here’s two: leaving out months of employment without explanation and alignment/spacing errors (especially on design resumes).
- In your experience, why does Temp to Perm work so well in the creative and digital space? Really because clients and talent both need to be in the "thick" of things to get a real idea of whether it’s a culture fit and that the work being produced is good. An interview is never enough.
- Advice to any manager conducting an interview? Be sure to make eye contact and ask open ended questions (not those that can be simply answered with a yes or no).
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? It’s a lot, but here you go: show up on time, dress the part, make eye contact, turn off your cell phone, bring a notepad to all meetings, and focus!
- Best way for freelancers to market themselves on social media? Continually be showcasing new samples and links to their work.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Energetic, spontaneous, magical, fascinating, unique.
- Best ways to work with a recruiter to fill a role? Open communication and honesty.
- Guilty song pleasure? Abba’s Dancing Queen.
Looking for creative jobs in the New York metro area?
Connect with Shawn!