Sarah Ellis Jones
Even after 14 years of recruiting and placing top creatives, Sarah still loves that every day at work is always unique, ever evolving, and never fails to keep her on her toes.
Check out her answers to our 11 Quick Questions to find out how to make a compelling portfolio and the number one mistake people make when hiring creatives.
- Tips for making a compelling portfolio? Look at the narrative of the whole piece: Why is each piece included? What part of your story does it tell? Your portfolio should be a representation of how you approach your work; your thought process, your rough work, the guidelines you worked within, not just a showcase of finished pieces.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? We have lots! My two favorites are Glug and Shesays.
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Know what you are looking for. That sounds simple but if you come across as unclear about your goals and aspirations, it will resonate with your interviewer and/or recruiter.
- Best tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? Know your audience. Are potential employers able to access your skills, experience and portfolio links quickly and easily?
- Favorite online quiz? How British Are You?
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Spelling errors and meaningless holding phrases. Read it, then re-read it, then ask others to read what you've written objectively. Does it make you stand out? Does it highlight your core skills and experience so that it will interest to potential employers?
- Describe your city in 5 words. Parks, buildings, traffic, weather, diverse.
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Merely looking at what that creative can deliver to the business now, instead of seeing how they may grow and develop over time.
- Favorite meme or parody? Sad cat diaries.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Get there early and offer to make the tea!
- Guilty song pleasure? I have been known to have a good old hairbrush moment to Whitney Houston (anything from "The Bodyguard" album!)
Looking for great jobs in and around London?
Connect with Sarah!