It’s been huge few days for the Big Apple. First Internet Week NYC, then the Webby Awards, and now Sara D. is our Vitamin of the Week!
Her passion for helping others is legendary (she’s been on staff at international nonprofits including Indego Africa and Valley of Peace Project). Sara’s been continuing that passion by helping awesome creatives get equally awesome gigs all around New York City.
Share her zeal by reading her answers to our 11 Quick Questions and learn the biggest mistake people make when hiring creatives and how to create a great LinkedIn profile.
- Best creative/digital event in NYC? Without a doubt, Internet Week New York and the Webby Awards (we've partnered with them for 5 years!
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Make sure your resume and portfolio are up-to-date and ready to go, and network!
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A gymnast. I loved Dominique Dawes and the entire 1996 US Women's Olympic team, the Magnificent Seven!
- Best tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? Use a professional photo, customize your profile URL, get professional recommendations, update your headline and summary, and use appropriate keywords.
- Favorite online quiz? (And your answer.) Which US President Are You? Answer: Ulysses S. Grant.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? First and foremost, typos and grammatical errors! But I have to add a few others I see far too often: making it too long, not being detailed or specific about your experience, not matching the resume to the job for which you're applying, and not showing quantifiable results.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Creative, diverse, insane, energizing, exhausting.
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Not trying them out first as a freelancer!
- Favorite meme or parody? Texts from Hillary!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? TechCrunch and Mashable.
- Guilty song pleasure? Easy! Cameo’s “Candy.”
Looking for great jobs in and around the New York Metro area?
Connect with Sara!