Why is Boston recruiting manager Ryanne Conway smiling? Because she just found another awesome creative who’s been looking for the perfect job, that’s why.
Does this woman ever stop recruiting? Never.
And boy are we glad.
You will be too, once you read her answers to our 7 Quick Questions then give her a ring!
- What made you want to work at Vitamin T? I sort of fell into recruiting (tale as old as time, I know). But Vitamin T was just different in the way they approach "recruiting". We make it a point to be so specialized in digital and creative—because we want to be the BEST and most knowledgeable partners for our customers—whether that be a junior graphic designer looking for their first job, a director of UX suddenly finding himself unemployed for the first time in 20 years, or an ad agency who just landed a huge bid and now needs four production designers onsite in the next hour. The culture of Vitamin T is one of a kind, always encouraging their employees' entrepreneurial spirits and fostering their career growth. My team here in Boston is my family!
- What most excites you about your work and the contribution you make? I love the thrill of finding a startup (or any company, really) their newest employee. The visual designer who is going to be making their new web app beautiful, the developer who is going to make their new app functional, the copywriter who is going to create compelling content for their customers and users. These employees are making real, big impacts for the company they're working for.
- What’s your favorite interview question? I actually love the process of interviewing someone, because the best questions usually come to you organically (if you're having a good conversation). But if I had to pick one question I'd say it's one I usually ask when checking references: "If you had $5,000 to spend on professional growth for this candidate, how would you spend it?" The same can be said when asking the candidate directly how they'd spend it on themselves. It's very telling!
- Best creative/digital event in your city? Jared Spool's yearly UIE conference will always hold a special place in my creative heart. We’ve just finished sponsoring this year’s event, UI21; well, my first day on the job at Vitamin T was spent networking at UI16! Talent come from all over the world to hear industry leaders speak about the latest, most relevant topics surrounding user experience and design. Our team alternates sitting in on the sessions while simultaneously holding portfolio reviews for attendees. It’s fantastic!
- What do you love about working with creative talent? I'm a creative at heart, so I just really enjoy being able to have conversations with amazingly talented creatives. I love hearing about the UI design they just completed for a new healthcare app. I love hearing about the code they wrote when being tasked with a touch screen kiosk project. And when you see the designs they worked on for brands you love? Even better!
- What’s one important skill every person should have and why? Just be personable. Adapt to your environment whenever possible. Culture fit is the #1 reason employees leave (or are let go). If you're smart and you can prove you're a hard worker, you'll go farther than the guy who is sitting by himself in the corner and not contributing to anything but the work on his desk.
- How do you want to be remembered? I would love to be remembered as a kind person. It sounds simple, but it's not always easy - especially during these times. It's great to be remembered, but make sure it's for the right reasons.