An eight-year veteran at Aquent/Vitamin T, Peggy loves working in a place where the appropriate response to any client asking for an illustrator who can draw an alligator on skis is, "Will those be water or snow?"
Check out her well-tenured answers to our 11 Quick Questions to find out why temp-to-perm works so well and the number one mistake people make when hiring a creative.
- In your experience, why does Temp-to-Perm work so well in the creative and digital space? I like to call this the working interview. It takes time to develop a relationship with someone. We spend so much time at work and with our colleagues, why would you hasten the hiring process to just a few hours? Always see how well a candidate does during an extended period.Hiring managers get to make a more educated hiring decision and the candidate gets to ensure the company is going to provide them with the environment they want. Win-Win.
- Best ways to work with a recruiter to fill a role? Communication is key. The more information a recruiter has about the company and the role, the easier it is to find a match. A good recruiter will ask the right questions, so answer with honesty and amazing things will happen.
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Networking is the best ways to find a job. Why? Because it’s a lot easier to hire someone you know rather than taking a risk on hiring a stranger.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a talk show host. In fact I wrote a paper in high school where I interviewed all of my classmates in their future careers, Oprah style.
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Not taking advantage of having the candidate work on a freelance basis first.
- Good tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? Keep updating your profile. Make sure your picture is professional. Build your network. Ask for recommendations.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? SXSW. Even if you don't attend the event you will get something out of it... even aside from the awesome swag and freebies.
- Favorite social network & why? I love Facebook to keep up with my friends and family and LinkedIn for business. If I’m looking to contact someone at a company, I can always count on LinkedIn to find me someone I’m connected to.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Lying. Assume that everything on your resume will be thoroughly checked out. The design community is especially small, everyone knows everyone. One lie can blackball you for a long time. It’s not worth it.
- Favorite online quiz? (And your answer.) What font are you? I’m Times New Roman: a constant, reliable, secretly sexy classic.
- Guilty song pleasure? I make every Friday BEASTIE BOYS FRIDAY! Paul Revere is an oldie but a goodie. However, I'm not sure I feel guilty about it.
Looking for fantastic creatives in Austin?
Connect with Peggy!