Agent Meredith Lawlor is famous for much more than her impromptu dance moves in our Toronto office; she’s known as the go-to resource for finding the best gigs in town. She’s a firm believer that, without creative thinking and awesome technical skills, “mankind is doomed to endure a lifetime of boredom and outdated ideas.”
We don’t disagree!
Whether or not you’re looking for your next opportunity, we know you’re going to get a kick out of Meredith’s answers to our 7 Quick Questions!
- What’s the BEST thing someone can do when looking for a job? GET YOURSELF A COMPLETE LINKEDIN PROFILE! Okay, sorry. Maybe using ALL CAPS was unnecessary. Clearly, I'm pretty passionate about LinkedIn. Seriously, as a recruiter, Linkedin is my best friend. The place where I can see someone’s job type, years of experience, company, software used... I’ll let you know that if your profile is up to date with as MUCH information as possible (job related, of course), your job search will be far easier. Follow your favourite companies, "Like" and comment on interesting posts, post your own thoughtful content.... This will get you noticed and—fingers crossed—a job will come your way sooner rather than later!
- What’s one important skill every person should have and why? It's a skill that most people are already equipped with and is proven to provide a huge positive impact: SMILING! Guys, it's great. Do it! What's the point in going about life without a smile on your face? Make a conscious effort to smile more in your day. You won't regret it!
- Best creative/digital event in your city? RGD Design Thinkers! It’s my big chance to hang with the coolest cats in town for two days. Last year, I was able to hear talks from the graphic designer of Wes Anderson’s The Grand Budapest Hotel and the VP of Design at Buzzfeed. I'm no creative (other than the odd interpretive dance sequence I bust out with in our office), but I walked away feeling inspired and keenly aware how important it is to keep those creative juices flowing
- What made you want to work at Vitamin T? I honestly just dig people and it was an opportunity to work at a company where I meet with and introduce awesome people to each other. DONE! I'm constantly meeting new people and learning new trends in the creative industry. But the BEST feeling is when I find someone work. The job market can be tough, and it truly is the greatest feeling when someone is having a hard time finding work and you're able to help them with that process. I've made a lot of great connections with the talent that I've worked with. They're awesome! And I've got their backs, yo!
- What tech innovation has most impacted your life? The iPhone. I'm sorry, if that’s an answer everyone has, but it's just so darn good. I can listen to the latest Rihanna album, write e-mails, book a flight to Cancun, talk on the phone, text my bro, Instagram my food, and play Bejeweled Blitz on the same device all at the same time.
- As a 5 year old, what did you want to be when you grew up? A popstar. Still dreamin'.
- Favorite GIF? Carlton!
Need a great gig in Toronto? Chat with Whenever you need a creative fast, be sure to chat with Meredith!