It’s true, the only thing that’s not rapid fire about DC agent Liz Yee is her pet turtle.
And yes, we’re quite sure it’s not a tortoise.
Speaking of fast paced, that’s how Liz answered all our 7 Quick Questions. You, of course, can go through as fast or slow as you like, but we’re pretty certain that when you’re through, you’re going to want to speed over to our site and chat with Liz!
- What’s one important skill every person should have and why? I don’t know about everyone, but for a recruiter/agent it’s definitely learning how to “read” a talent and learn what they’re truly like. It’s essential when you’re trying to match them to a client or team environment. It’s not easy to learn!
- What’s the BEST thing someone can do when looking for a job? I’ve got several “bests,” but essentially you need to do whatever it takes to make yourself standout in the sea of applicants.
- Network Network Network!! I know it sounds cliché, but how are you going to get your name out there or learn about opportunities if you don’t? These days you can’t just rely on sending e-mails or applying blindly to a posting. You have to attend networking events and/or join social sports teams like kickball, because the people who are going to be able to put you in touch with the hiring managers are your peers. So why not become friends with them?
- Do your research. It looks really good in an interview when you know the little things about a company. It shows that you not only understand their mission statement, but their true values.
- If you has a company in mind, I suggest looking on LinkedIn to see who you’re connected to or find someone who can connect you. When you do, I guarantee you are more likely going to put more of an effort into your application for a position. Just be STRATEGIC, knowing someone goes a long way!!
Looking for freelance creative work in Washington, DC? Talk to Liz!