Lindsey doesn't mess around when it comes to quality, even if she's just taking selfies. Quality is ALWAYS top of her mind when she is finding awesome jobs for VT talent in Toronto
Looking for some high-caliber advice on creating a great LinkedIn profile or networking to find a gig? Then check out her answers to our 11 Quick Questions!
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Put yourself out there! A resume is not enough to land you that dream job. You need to pick up the phone, connect with people over LinkedIn, and go to Meetups.
- Favorite social network & why? LinkedIn. When I’m working I am on Linkedin 80% of my time. It is not only a great way to connect with people in the industry, but it also enables creatives to share their work and reach people faster.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a singer. I was around 7 years old performing in a talent show singing "Respect" by Aretha Franklin and near the end we pulled out squirt guns and soaked everyone in the audience. Backstage I recall thinking "Wow, I could do this everyday." Sadly, my performance days ended around 12 when I realized that standing in front of a crowd of 100 people singing was actually terrifying sans squirt gun.
- Best tips for making a great LinkedIn profile? Tell people you are looking for work. There are a variety of ways to do this: update your header to show "looking for work" or join groups that share your common interests/or struggles. Share your work on social media. You should show people why they should want to work with you!
- Tips for making a compelling portfolio? Branding! Carry your brand throughout your portfolio and resume. Make everything consistent: color, font, size etc. Have fun with it!
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? Not having them do work for them before they hire them. There is only so much someone can say or do in an interview, but for creatives it is really about their CREATIVE abilities. A small assessment would suffice and ensure they are the right creative fit for your team/client.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? Creative Mornings. This is such a great networking event where you can not only meet with the speaker but also other creatives in the city. Did I mention there’s food and beverages?!
- Describe your city in 5 words. Vibrant. Exciting. Diverse. Mysterious, Kind.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? I have two:
Designers not including their portfolio with their resumes. Don’t let this be you!
Grammatical/spelling errors. It’s ironic if a hiring manager sees "Attention to detail" in a resume when that wasn’t actually done on the resume itself.
Looking for fantastic creatives in Toronto?
Connect with Lindsey!