When Business Development Manager Kellyn Burns isn’t trying to get her dog out of large bodies of water, you can find her in the DC and Northern Virginia areas helping Vitamin T clients reach their goals. (Which is sometimes easier than getting the dog out.)
Looking for creative help for your business or a great way to retrieve a retriever? Read her answers to our 7 Quick Questions, then give her a ring!
- What do you love about working with creative talent? I love interacting with some of the smartest and most creative people in the world. Every day I get to pick the brains of Virginia and D.C's most sought-after digital creatives and help them to grow their teams. I love smart people and I love learning from them even more. No two creatives are alike and I love working in a place where I get to learn from such unique individuals.
- What most excites you about your work & the contribution you make? I love when people see me as an asset to their team and their growth initiatives. It is an amazing feeling knowing that you are helping a person, a team, or an entire company reach their goals. Building relationships with my clients, getting to know the ins and outs of their team, and gaining their trust as a true consultant to their business is why I love coming to work every day!
- What is one word that you would use to describe your team? Challenging. I mean that in a positive way! My team constantly challenges me to think differently, act differently, try new things, think in new ways, and grow as a person and as a saleswoman.
- If you could have dinner with one person living or dead, who would it be and why? Bruce Springsteen!! Mostly just because I love him so much. I have been his biggest fan (officially) since I was a little kid. My siblings and I grew up on Bruce and he was a huge part of some of my favorite childhood and adult memories. I feel like we would honestly be best friends (is that creepy?). Plus, he probably knows where to get the best tomato pie in New Jersey!
- What’s one question a candidate should ask in a job interview? I have two (I know thats cheating). ONE: Always ask if you can shadow someone in a similar role for a day. It is SO important to learn, firsthand, what your day-to-day is going to be like. You may discover something you absolutely can't stand doing is a major part of the job. Or, similarly, you may find out some of your best assets wouldn't be utilized in that role. Shadowing is an incredibly reliable way to see if you and the job you’re interviewing for are compatible. TWO: If you want the job, ASK for the job! Never be afraid to ask for what you want right there and then. It shows commitment, initiative, and interest, something all hiring managers want to see. Playing hard to get doesn't always work in the job hunt!
- What’s your favorite interview question? “What is the biggest obstacle you have ever overcome and how did you conquer it?” It’s a question that allows hiring managers to learn about the candidate's resiliency, their problem-solving skills, and their commitment to achieving success. It also gives the candidate the ability to showcase their strongest attributes without it coming off as too self-promotional.
- How did you get into recruiting? Accidentally actually. I have always wanted to be in sales, I just didn't know in what industry. I took a job in sales at a small recruiting firm before joining Vitamin T and fell in love with what I was doing. Now that I’m here, I don't think I will ever leave it!