Finding people jobs and working in the creative world are what fuels Jess’ passion every day here at Vitamin T.
With 5+ years in staffing, she’s got lots of great advice on how to make your first freelance day great and what NOT to do on your resume.
Check out all her answers to our 11 Quick Questions!
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Be open and honest when interviewing talent. Explain the work and your expectations to them. Check for competency, but more importantly, listen carefully to what they say and look for passion.
- Describe your city in 5 words. The best of many worlds!
- Traits that clients ask for most? Awesome portfolios and ability to hit the ground running.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Spelling! I once read, "Copywriter looking for open rolls." Yikes! Also, irrelevant content. Make sure your resume accurately displays your experience and ability to do the role you are applying for. The job you had “back in the day” probably doesn't best display your current abilities. If I had to add something else I’d say talking in third person or writing "I" too many times. We know you did the work, it IS your resume!
- Favorite meme? Invisible cats!
- Best digital event in your city? Probably something in NYC, ha! Kidding. Gotta love the NJ Tech Meetup and the other Jersey creative and tech Meetups.
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? So many! Adweek, Wired, Fast Company, Mashable, and of course my newsfeed on LinkedIn and Twitter!
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Do not be late. Actually, get there early! Smile, be friendly, and bring a can-do attitude.
- Next big thing in digital? Responsive design (already taking over!) and wearable technology.
- Best example of awesome UX? I come across so many... but for ease of use and addictiveness, I must say Pinterest has gotten me.
- Guilty song pleasure? Lady Gaga’s "Poker Face”.
Looking for great jobs in the New Jersey area?
Connect with Jess!