Heather Young (UX Specialist)
When it comes to UX, Heather’s never in over her head.
She’s the Vitamin who works with our agents to ensure that all the awesome User Experience talent always get the best gigs.
Jump on into our 11 Quick Questions to find out how to create a compelling UX portfolio and her resume reading secrets!
- Number one mistake people make when hiring a creative? They overlook soft skills. People hire for technical skills, but cultural fit is equally, if not more important to the success of the candidate.
- Tips for making a compelling UX portfolio? Describe your role and design process. How did your portfolio piece impact the business?
- Any resume reading secrets to pass along? A solid candidate will clearly list their core competencies up front and explain their design process. Avoid resumes with marketing fluff that don't really say anything.
- How should UX folks work with a recruiter? Be clear on the type of work you want to do, not just what you can do. Be flexible with your schedule and make yourself available for calls and interviews.
- Best tips for a making a great LinkedIn profile? Focus on your core competencies. Use keywords that describe your process. Avoid marketing fluff (see above!)
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Speaker, entrepreneur, and product design strategist Luke Wroblewski @LukeW.
- Best way for freelancers to market themselves on social media? Stay on top of the latest trends in the industry and create conversations by sharing your opinions on Linkedin and Twitter.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? The next SXSW, Hopscotch Design Festival! Hopscotch Design features more than 25 sessions from presenters who work across the disciplines of graphic design, user experience design, urban planning, technology, architecture, music, food, film, and more.
- Digital or creative hero? Chief Experience Officer at Making Waves, Anna Kirah @AnnaKirah.
- Favorite meme or parody? Any of the UX memes.
- Guilty song pleasure? Hanson's “MMMBop.”
Ready for your next UX gig? Or just love to chat about what users really want?
Connect with Heather!