A recent transplant to Philly, Elizabeth is fulfilling her childhood dream of being a super sleuth by scouring the city for amazing companies in dire need of equally amazing creatives!
Feel free to eavesdrop in on our conversation to find out the best thing to do when looking for a job and her favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Spelling mistakes! It's such a simple thing to overlook, but you absolutely need to take time to pay attention to detail. If I could also give a piece of resume advice? Don't simply list all of the tasks you performed, be sure to explain the added value you delivered to your employer/client and why that sets you apart!
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A detective! I loved gathering information and putting bits of information together to solve the puzzle.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Be on time! Also, meet as many people in the office as possible; you never know who you may be able to help or could connect you to your next job!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? Twitter. I follow local talent, local and national agencies, big and small businesses, job boards and newspapers. When I see a trend happening in these groups, I look a little more into it. Sure enough, there's a reason all of these creatives are tweeting the same thing at the same time.
- Best way for freelancers to market themselves on social media? Share examples of their work on social media. If I am going through my LinkedIn or Twitter feed, I won’t read about your background, but I will look look if I see great designs pop out. Also be sure to #Hashtag your unique skills, because people like me will always search for those!
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Network, network, network! Talk to everyone you know, get them to introduce you to people they know. The more your name gets out there, the more likely someone will look to hire you. I’d also add this: always cater your application to each specific job. Hiring managers can tell when you are sending the same thing to 100 companies. Tell them why you want their SPECIFIC job.
- Digital or creative hero? Tina Roth Eisenberg, aka design blogger Swissmiss.
- Favorite online quiz? (And your answer.) Which "Breakfast Club" character are you? (I got John Bender). This movie was shot at my high school!
- Best creative/digital event in your city? Philly Tech Week. Awesome!
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Ellen DeGeneres (@TheEllenShow). She's kind, witty, and HILARIOUS.
- Guilty song pleasure? "Wannabe" by The Spice Girls. Girl Power :-)
Looking for fantastic creatives in Philly?
Connect with Elizabeth!