Chicago agent Devin Martin has over 15 years of experience helping creatives and marketers into amazing jobs. She counts relationship building as her number one asset and loves nothing more than sitting down with people to hear about their passions, experiences, and what really motivates them to do the work they love.
Looking for a new “work home” in Chicago? Read Devin’s answers to our 7 Quick Questions, then give her a ring!
- What most excites you about your work and the contribution you make? I love the passion that creatives have for their work. You don’t see that in many other fields. It's personal. It's emotional. I also consider myself a student of people and behavior, so it's great that I get to learn all day long! Nothing is more satisfying than a heartfelt card or email from someone I've placed telling me how impactful their new role has been on their career and their lives.
- What’s your favorite interview question? "If I were to talk to your current manager, what would they say about you?" I love this question! You can really get a sense of someone's level of honesty by the way they answer. I also find they’re more willing to talk about the areas they feel need some improvement. Best of all, if someone launches into how horrible their manager is and already starts defending the things they THINK that they’d say...it sends up a big red flag!
- How about a question a candidate should ask in their interview? There are SO many. I think in today's market it's important to ask about paths for growth within the company and what sort of development or additional learning is provided. You won't stay an A+ staff member if you sit in the same role without learning something new. But that doesn't mean you have to jump from company to company. There are so many clients now who offer great ways for their staff to advance and grow from within.
- What do you love about working with creative talent? Like I said, it’s really seeing the amazing passion for their craft. Because of that, you need to always be very respectful and thoughtful when reviewing a portfolio because it's so personal. I admire their willingness to be vulnerable and exposed. As someone who only creates when following specific instructions, it's fun to still feel involved in this industry.
- If you could have dinner with one person living or dead, who would it be and why? My late grandmother, Loyola. She was just the spunkiest, sassiest woman you ever met. More than anything I would love to catch up with her and hear her silly jokes. She was a hard-working farmer, so it was rare to actually see her sit down at a dinner. She was always making sure everyone else was sitting and fed first!
- What tech innovation has most impacted your life? The iPhone. Both positively and negatively. I love the efficiency and ability to stay connected...but I also hate how connected we feel we need to be at all times. My husband caught me staring at the wall lost in thought the other night and he said, "Wow, I love seeing you just sitting quietly, not buried in a device." Ouch! But also, touché. I'm constantly trying to make myself put the phone down because, as Ferris Bueller said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."
- Favorite GIF? I'm such a sucker for the movie Elf! A few of my friends and I are pretty obsessed. This line was so funny to me and I still want to say it 50% of the time I answer the phone.
Find a great job in Chicago by reaching out to Devin!