With 11+ years working with creatives and leading teams to beating their goals, David spends his days (and sometimes nights) helping agencies and companies find solutions to make their work lives a heck of a lot more fulfilling.
Check out his answers to our 11 Quick Questions to find out what advice he has for hiring managers, how he stays up on the world of digital, and important stuff like his guilty song pleasure.
- Google or Bing? Bing.
- Best digital event? I actually have two: An Event Apart and the yearly UIE conferences (UI18 is this year). Both are amazing in terms of the speakers, content, and always are well worth the price of admission. The lunches and parties alone have to be the best places on earth to network, share ideas with fellow digital creatives, and keep your finger on the pulse of what's new in the digital world.
- Best example of awesome UX. I love what two local agencies here in Boston are doing: Fresh Tilled Soil and Above the Fold. Both do amazing work and add a lot of value to companies that don't necessarily have their own UX team.
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Prep, prep, and prep. Always update your candidate questions. For instance, my favorite, "What is your weakness or something that you could improve?" I follow up with, “OK, give me one more.” Because the candidate’s first answer is usually well-prepared, follow up question catches them off guard and shows me if they can think on their feet (or not).
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Spelling mistakes. If a candidate can't take the time to check the spelling and grammar on their resume, then they shouldn’t bother putting "detail-oriented" on it. It sounds mean, but sorry, that’s what a hiring manager is going to say. It’s your first impression, you need to take it seriously.
- Native Apps or Responsive Design? Responsive Design.
- Favorite meme? I know this one is pretty popular but I love “What People Think I Do / What I Really Do,” especially the Digital Expert one.
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? "I just got an iPad (finally!) and LOVE the TechWire App. It is an all-in-one location with links to all my favorites: TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Mashable, Lifehacker, etc.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Show up on time, be friendly, and introduce yourself to everyone. It's tough as freelancers are sometimes the "outsiders" when coming into a new environment. Making the extra effort to fit in that first day goes a long way toward being a successful part of the team.
- Next big thing in digital? I’m excited about the rumors of a real Apple iTV. The rumor has been out there for a while and was a Steve Jobs driven goal. I can't wait to have another Apple device to connect to my iPod, MacBook, iPhone, and iPad. :)
- Guilty song pleasure? Too many to list. I am shameless when it comes to sharing my Spotify with anyone. I like all genres and can sometimes be found humming a Rihanna song while working.