Carolyn is a pragmatic optimist who believes a little smarts, teamwork, and elbow grease can get almost anything done. She digs design, technology and the people that make the two happen. More than anything, she loves helping creative people define their goals and find a way to see them to fruition.
Check out her answers to our 11 Quick Questions to find out advice for managers conducting interviews, the biggest mistake people make on resumes, and of course, her guilty song pleasure.
- Traits that clients ask for most? A talent who is nimble, aware of their strengths AND their weaknesses, and can take direction—but isn't afraid to add their two cents.
- Best digital event in your city? Seattle Interactive Conference for business and Geekwire's Ping Pong Tournament for business and pleasure!
- Describe your city in 5 words. Greenish. Techish. Polite-ish. Bike-ish. Wonderful!
- Advice to any manager conducting an interview? Don't feel like a candidate has to tick all the boxes. If you are replacing someone that has been with your company for 12 years, they’ve certainly learned a significant amount of their skill set in that office. Attempting to find an exact replacement is a tall order. If you find someone with the right attitude, a lot of the same skill sets, and an awareness of where growth is needed, you might just get more than you asked for!
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Focusing too much on soft skills. Hiring managers want to read what you do and what you have delivered, not that you are hard working, passionate, and quick as a whip (sorry, but all job hunters say that).
- Favorite meme? The Office gets me every time!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? Geekwire.com (gotta rep the Emerald City).
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Get a temperature from your Report To. It sounds small, but asking at the end of the day "How did I do?", "Is there anything I can do tomorrow to improve?" or whatever feels right, can be invaluable. It also opens you up as a great communicator (who isn't afraid of feedback).
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Maria Popova @brainpicker, an MIT fellow “obsessed with combinatorial creativity.”
- Best example of awesome UX. I really love Cheaptickets.com's mobile site. Booking something online with smart phone has a high potential to be frustrating, not with this site!
- Guilty song pleasure? Travis Tritt’s ”A Great Day To Be Alive." What can I say... you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl!