When it comes to finding the perfect talent for her San Francisco clients, Ani doesn’t let city boundaries stop her. On most days, however, she can she can be found in her hometown working her matchmaking magic.
Check out her answers to our 11 Quick Questions to find out the best way to work with a recruiter to fill a role and her tips for making a compelling portfolio.
- Best way to work with a recruiter to fill a role? Be responsive! The best freelancers go FAST! Unfortunately when it comes to great creatives, if you snooze a lot of times you lose.
- Favorite social network & why? LinkedIn because it's Facebook for professionals. LinkedIn is the first place I go to when I have potential talent reach out to me. If you're a talent looking for work and your LinkedIn profile isn't up to date, you’re really not putting your best foot forward. Recruiters and hiring managers can tell when someone has put a lot of effort into their profile. When someone’s profile is good, it tells everyone that they’re serious about their career.
- What’s the BEST thing you can do when you’re looking for a job? Have a success story ready! Clients want to know how you can impact their company. The best way to show them is to tell them how your work has positively impacted a previous client. That can be anything how you saved them money, delivered before a deadline, increased their ROI, won them awards, etc.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? An artist. Because my initials are A.R.T. I was convinced I was born to be a fine artist. Then I quickly realized I needed actual talent. D'oh!
- Tips for making a compelling portfolio? Don't overwhelm hiring managers by adding ALL of your work. Carefully select a handful of your favorite and most accomplished work. Also make sure it's work you're comfortable talking about!
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? Not proofreading! Always proofread, proofread, proofread, and then proofread some more.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Come in 10 minutes early (to be early is to be on time!), be positive, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
- Best creative/digital event in your city? Not to toot VT SF's horn but *toot toot!* Our team has put together a monthly meetup where the digital/creative community come together to discuss emerging trends in design, UX, and front-end development. It’s great!
- Describe your city in 5 words. Diverse. Quirky. Cultured. Beautiful. Expensive.
- Favorite meme or parody? Any Ermahgerd meme will make me laugh uncontrollably. "ERMAHGERD....PERP TERTS" is pretty hilarious.
- Guilty song pleasure? As much as I hate to admit it, Becky G's“Shower”. I'm not even aware I'm singing along, it's that catchy.
Looking for creative jobs in San Francisco?
Connect with Ani!