Having grown up surrounded by creative talent, Alison loves being a part of the Vitamin T team—she says it feels just like home! Put that together with her extensive background in technology and marketing and her strong passion for working with great people, and you’ll understand why our clients in Toronto love her as well!
Whether you’re looking for advice on conducting interviews or suggestions to make your first day as a freelancer successful, Alison’s answers to our 11 Quick Questions will provide some nourishing food for thought!
- Best advice to any manager conducting an interview? Set your expectations high and stick to your gut. When you find the right person, you will feel it and know it almost right away. Ask good questions that are relevant to the role and be prepared to answer even better ones.
- Traits that clients ask for most? In this industry it's all about diverse skill sets. People need to be adaptable, have a broad range of skills and possess the ability to do more than one job. They also need to be conceptual thinkers with a mind full of creativity and new ideas. On top of all this, they must conduct themselves professionally and have strong work ethic.
- Best digital event in your city? I'd say there are two in my city worth telling everyone about: DX3 Canada and Digital Media Summit.
- Biggest mistake people make on their resumes? People are their own worst enemies, and far too modest. Give yourself enough credit on your resume, highlight your successes and strengths—promote yourself the way you would your dearest friend. And don't lie... EVER!
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Neil Patrick Harris.
- Describe your city in 5 words. Exciting. Colourful. Busy. Loud. Cultural.
- Google or Bing? Google.
- Favorite meme? Grumpy Cat is my Fav!
- Favorite place to keep up with changes in the digital world? Nathan... he sits beside me, he's like a book of wisdom. But if I don’t have Nathan, then Mashable.
- Advice for freelancers to make their first day a successful one? Never be tardy... no matter where you are doing the work, start on time and work as hard as you promised you would in the interview. You were chosen for a reason, you should prove your talent through your work. Ask questions when you have them and don't try to be a genius on the first day.
- Guilty song pleasure? It has to be “Conga” by Gloria Estefan.. HA!
Looking for a partner to find you great freelancers in the Toronto area?
Connect with Alison!