If you’re planning on attending SXSW (that’s “South by Southwest” for the uninitiated), but you haven’t done anything about it yet, you’d better kick it into high gear. Even though the interactive, music, and film communities won’t be making the long trek to Austin until March, hotel rooms are already booking up.
But don’t be daunted! There’s still time for you (between your forays online to buy holiday gifts), to get your paws on some discount pricing for Interactive badges until January 11th.
Did we say that hotel rooms are filling up? Yes, we did. But you can see what’s available by checking out SXSW’s hotel availability map, so you will have a nice place with a pillow, TV, and ice right down the hallway when you get in town.
There’s lots of SXSW news already. Two keynotes have been announced (with more to come!): Elon Musk from SpaceX & Matthew Inman from The Oatmeal and...
Other news: There will be fewer sessions this time around.
Which is good news! There were 1,000+ interactive sessions last year. We figured the only way to hit them all would require a time machine, a ton of stamina, and a time machine-proof notebook.
You’ll get to choose from among the 530 sessions offered this year. Still a lot of sessions, but we’ve already picked out a few that we’re particularly excited about:
- Educating the Next Generation of Industry-Ready Designers - Jared Spool, uie.com
- Open Web Platform: Hopes and Fears - Tim Berners-Lee, World Wide Web Consortium
- Andy Rubin Interview with Guy Kawasaki - Andy Rubin, Google & Guy Kawasaki, Silicon Valley venture capitalist
- Idea Orphans - Starlee Kine, This American Life
- Contagious: Why Things Catch On - Jonah Berger, University of PA, Wharton School of Business
- HTML5 Hacks - Jesse Cravens, frog
- Android’s Principles for Designing the Future - Rachel Garb, Google
- Behavior Change as Value Proposition - Chris Risdon, Adaptive Path
It’s gonna be fun.
Feeling overwhelmed? Remain calm, and subscribe to the SXSW Newsletter to keep up-to-date on all the happenings.
Of course, we’ll be here to hold your hand (virtually) and share dates and times of our favorite events as well as our booth location and, of course, tell you about the awesome swag we’ll be giving away.
Oh yes, there will be swag!