But wait, we’re getting ahead of ourselves here. Let’s have two people who know a heck a lot about Richmond, our own Heather Young and Kelly Boykin, give you the virtual tour.
It’s the next stop on our Vitamin T Global Office Tour!
Vitamin T: What do you love most about your city?Heather & Kelly: Richmond is a great mix of smaller town feel with bigger city benefits. We’re within two hours of the ocean, the mountains, the country, and Washington DC, yet it takes less than 30 minutes to get anywhere in town. The quality of life here is great and the cost of living is nice and low!
We were the birthplace for America’s earliest settlers, once they realized Jamestown was too swampy and Williamsburg did not have good shopping yet. The city is full of historical sites everyone should see, including the church where Patrick Henry gave his famous “Give me liberty...” speech, battlefields and landmarks for both the Civil and Revolutionary wars. We also have great museums and lots of culture to absorb.
We have a disproportionately high number of Fortune 1000 companies in the area, some of the best schools in the country. In fact, the entire state of Virginia boasts amazing colleges and universities.
Vitamin T: Why is it a great place for interactive talent?Heather & Kelly: Many of those large Fortune 1000s mentioned above are always hiring for cutting-edge developers interested in UX, mobile design, email design, and UI design. Richmond’s Virginia Commonwealth University has the third ranked Art/Design school in the country and a phenomenal Brandcenter. Aren’t those reasons enough?
Vitamin T: What advice would you have for talent moving to your city?Heather & Kelly: Once you have learned to lengthen your “i’s” a little bit, your accent will fit right in! Joking, of course... Since Richmond is a relatively smaller town, you may find that our creative networks are a little friendlier than say, New York’s or Chicago’s. So when you get here you better be sure to get out there and network!!
Vitamin T: What are some great networking orgs to connect with?Heather & Kelly:
- Refresh Richmond
- Richmond User Experience Group (RUX)
- Flash Development User Group
- Richmond Adobe User Group (RAUG)
- The Ad Club
- AMA Richmond
Vitamin T: What are some of the hottest agencies in your city?
- The Martin Agency - Adweek’s US Agency of the Year in 2010
- Big River Advertising - Great clients like Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Wellpoint, Virginia Lottery, HMC, 4H, and MoonPie!
- West Cary Group - Their roster includes Capital One, Progressive, Genworth, Cigna, and lots more
Vitamin T: What odd factoids can you share about the city that newcomers wouldn't know?
Heather & Kelly:
- Richmond is an independent city and not part of any county (there are 42 independent cities in the United States and 39 of them are in Virginia).
- The State Capitol in Richmond served as the center of political power and civic ceremonies for both Virginia and the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.
- Our Virginia’s Governor’s Mansion is America’s oldest, continuously occupied governor’s residence and is a National Historic Landmark.
- We are the birthplace of the first African American governor of a U.S. state.
- We have the oldest municipal park system in the country, which includes parks on two major islands in the James River which runs right through the city.
So, does Richmond sound like your kind of city? If you want to know more about living and working there, connect with our Richmond Vitamin T team!