Our friend Rick Byrne recently wrote this great post on the Lifecycle of Designers that’s a great read for anyone in the design field, from college students just dreaming of their design career to Art Directors well on their way to being Creative Director.
As a guy with 20+ years experience as a designer, art director, ACD (he headed up the creative work for all of the client-based advertising at CBS Interactive), Rick’s got a lot of relevant information on the topic, not to mention hilarious illustrations by Lunchbreath.
He’s got takeaways that every designer can use to help get to the next level:
- Ask what your boss is thinking about and act accordingly
- Start your hot rod project (you’ll have to read the post to see what this is)
- Rise to the occasion when a challenge comes along
- Always try to meet other creatives (they may recommend you for a job)
- Go to design events to see what is going on in the industry
Give the whole post a read - your career will thank you for it!