Some great tips (as usual!) from our London office.
As you’ve surely realised, it’s becoming increasingly common for employers to interview candidates via video call technologies, including Skype and Google Chat. Since these video options are cost and time efficient, this pattern is likely to continue, so it’s a great time to make sure you’re ready for a video interview!
Vitamin T Account Director Wayne Hill gives his tips on how to nail a “virtual interview” in this short video. A little bit of preparation can make a big difference in landing your dream job.
Tune in for some really easy tips that will make you look and sound great.
- Check what is in the background behind you and that it’s appropriate
- Pay attention to your clothes; dress as you would for an interview
- Don’t sit too close to the screen
- Make sure you have eliminated noise around you including pets and children
- Turn your phone off
- Try not to use your mobile phone since cell connections can be inconsistent.
- Have a glass of water next to you
- Have a pen and paper or digital note taking device ready
- Triple check that your video service works before your scheduled call
- Keep eye contact with your interviewer
- Take pauses when talking and don’t rush
- Show some personality; small talk is good
- Close your email program so you aren’t distracted whilst talking
- Stick to your time slot; be on time and don’t waffle on
- If you are sharing screens, don’t have anything personal on your background
Have tips of your own on how to make sure your next video interview is a winner? Please share!
If you’re looking for more interviewing advice? Check out some of our other blog posts here!