A former art director/designer with 10+ years experience, Monica understands a freelancer’s creative challenges, successes, and pains, as well as their passion in searching for dream gigs—and the thrill of landing them!
She’s placed creatives all over the Bay Area (and North America) and loves design almost as much as she loves being an agent.
We asked Monica 11 Quick Questions to find out what advice she has for digital creatives, what keeps her inspired, and important stuff like her favorite app.
- App that you can't live without? Bloom, for creative inspiration!
- iPhone or Android or Blackberry? iPhone
- Who rocks your world on Twitter? Mike Dooley, The Universe
- Favorite site? Etsy
- Inspirational Digital Hero? Our Digital Zookeeper, Tiffany Jennings!
- Stranded-on-an-island DVD? Princess Bride
- Most important advice for creative resumes? Instead of an objective, include a short summary/highlights of your career at the top (just a few sentences will do). Hiring managers love that! Also, overly designed resumes can distract more than attract. Keep your resume simple and let your experience shine!
- Favorite place to eat in town? Burma Superstar or Gaspare's
- Jobs trending in your area? Visual design
- Favorite ad campaign? Backer Spielvogel Bates’ Tastes Great/Less Filling campaign for Miller Lite (especially the ones with Bob Uecker)
- Parting piece of advice for interviewing? Always come prepared to show how you can make a positive impact on their business. Listening is just as important as talking—never interrupt or talk over the hiring manager. Make sure to have your portfolio as a digital file instead of relying on wifi to get online (they are always password protected).
Looking for jobs in the San Francisco Metro area? Or portfolio tips? (She wrote a great blog post!)
Connect with Monica!