Connecting you with the best creative freelance and contract-to-hire roles is our job. Let us help you find yours!
Director of Strategy - UX AgencyApply
Sep 19, 2016
Temp To Perm
Agent: Jamie N.
Job #: 108439
Do you like helping mission-driven companies reach their highest potential? Are you passionate about the intersection of technology, design, and the web? Do you have a proven track record of learning new things as quickly as you teach them to others? Do you like wearing flip flops and drinking beer at work? If you answered yes to ALL of these questions, this position may be your DREAM JOB.
Our client, a UX Design Agency, is on the hunt for a savvy strategist to join their team as a senior thought leader, key member of their Services Division, and passionate mentor to their Strategist team. The Strategist team is a highly collaborative group that works with their design and development teams to define and execute the right solution for their clients’ objectives. The Director of Strategy will help identify opportunities for their clients to grow their businesses by improving their marketing funnels and the UX of their digital products.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
As Director of Strategy, you will advise clients on strategic considerations with a strong focus on business analysis, user experience, and design. As a natural leader, you will frame problems, lead brainstorm sessions, inspire ideation, identify opportunities, and present strategic recommendations to disruptors across the globe.
In this position you will have considerable impact in driving client satisfaction and employee growth. You will be a trusted advisor to our clients, working across multiple engagements at one time. You need to be comfortable coming in at various stages of a project’s lifecycle. You’re able to define goals, provide structure and bring clarity to client objectives and deliverables.
In addition to developing strategies for clients, you will be responsible for mentoring and developing the strategic muscles of the entire Strategist team. You’ll inspire the Strategist team to discover solutions and deliver premium results by offering guidance in relevant methodologies and best practices. The entire strategy team will be looking up to you, so no pressure, it’s not like they aren’t already badasses.
WHAT ARE THE KEY RESPONSIBILITIES?
DISCOVERY & INSIGHT GENERATION
We’re looking for you to kick off engagements by conducting research and current state analysis - evaluating qualitative, quantitative and competitive data to identify and validate opportunities. You will evaluate client business models and suggest improvements that meet business goals and optimize revenue streams.
DEFINE STRATEGIC VISION
You will lead the charge in defining digital strategies that drive business performance. You will develop cohesive, compelling and strategic plans that guide our design process. You will define business goals and success metrics to evaluate impact over time.
CLIENT SERVICE & DELIVERY
You will communicate strategic visions and present deliverables and recommendations to clients and internal stakeholders. You will lead reviews of cross-functional teams; providing guidance to ensure expectations, technology and marketing solutions are delivered on-strategy.
PEOPLE & LEADERSHIP
You will be driving the Strategy team in identifying and developing new, innovative, and transformational solutions to solve our client’s problems. You will be working with cross-functional teams to achieve these goals, and be directly responsible for developing the strategic capabilities of every Strategist on the team. You should feel comfortable with 1:1 mentoring as well as group coaching and have the communication and interpersonal skills to build strong camaraderie with the entire team.
WARNING: this is not your typical hot shot agency job; they don’t have personal offices, they don’t have phones, and they don’t allow office politics. They're looking for a crafty doer, a teacher, a leader, someone that has ‘been there, done that’ - someone so uniquely talented that they will inevitably be given an aggressive counter offer by their current employer after giving their 2 week notice. If this is starting to sound a lot like you, please read on….
- Senior-level experience in strategic/consultative role at a design, digital marketing agency, or product-driven company where people thought you were awesome and didn’t want to see you leave;
- Deep understanding of User Experience principles, the customer journey and a love affair for creative and strategic thinking;
- You’re a natural leader, people trust you. You know what you’re doing, and you have 5+ years experience directly leading teams, managing people and elevating team expertise through mentoring and training;
- Extensive experience managing product life cycles and/or go-to-market campaigns in a digital environment;
- You spend so much time in front of a white board you often just duct tape dry erase markers to your fingers;
- Polish and presence. You can walk into a room and project confidence based on the fact that you’re smart as hell, passionate about what you do, and are truly an interesting, good person. And you can do this in flip flops and a beer in your hand;
- Comfort in a startup environment with the spirit of an entrepreneur;
- Your fancy MBA is kind of cool, but will be trumped by real world experience;
- Sense of humor, definitely a must!
Sound like you? Apply now and let’s go get ‘em.
Want more details about this and other San Diego opportunities? Meet Jamie Neal!